I've been away for a few days and was astonished to see the render on the front portico on my return! Even more so due to it happening during one of Melbourne's wettest weeks for some months! It changes the facade quite considerably, but should look fabulous once the final colour is on (I hope!).
The painters were due to begin last Friday, and there was evidence that they have begun! Through dirty windows I could see the stair balusters have all been nicely wrapped in newspaper to protect them, and there were a few paint tins about the place. All good progress!
The plaster patch up was done after I had been in for our site meeting, as the stairs have since been filled in, and there was evidence of a few bits of cornice and mess on the floor in the kitchen. The correct pot drawers, hopefully, have been re ordered, but I'd expect them to take a few weeks to complete. We also noticed that the hallway doors have been hung correctly, according to our plans.
I received a call from my SS on Friday wondering if I had 'collected' any spare bricks lying around prior to a site clean. Hehe...yes, I had about 40! After my disappointment at all those bricks (including opened pallets) being whisked away, I scrounged around every nook and cranny and grabbed what I could! I even replaced all the 'door propers' from whole bricks to half bricks! I intended on using them for the footings for the brick fence. Anyway... the reason for the request, is they are a course short in the alfresco, so the cornice cannot be installed. All he wanted was about 8 bricks, so I happily dropped them off around the back for them!
Good to also see the infill above the stacker doors installed. That was one of my "Why didn't I do that?" moments and have it bricked...but with everything else to think of it was overlooked. No biggy, just a little annoying.
With all the rain we've had in the last week, and the absence of downpipes, all the water runoff from the gutters is dripping onto the ground. It almost looks as though our castle is surrounded by a moat!
Our newly created swimming pool which we didn't have to pay for...
...our lap pool down the side of the house...
...and it even comes with a spa!!
We do actually have a roof leaking problem in the alfresco and the garage. The garage one is pretty self explanatory, as there is a tile missing from when the flashing was installed, and the rain drips down straight onto the inside of the eave in that corner. The underside of the North west corner of the alfresco eaves also has water in it, but not sure why. With the painters there, I hope this gets fixed and dried out before any painting, as I'd hate to see water marks through the paint, or worse...mould.
We have no idea if the rest of the roof is water tight, as we can't get in to see it. Fingers crossed it is, otherwise there will be some replacing of batts and plaster in order.
Looking forward to seeing what unfolds this week!
Khaki (once called olive) Is The New Black
1 hour ago