It's been a few days since I have had a chance to update the blog, so I will do a quick day to day rundown of what has been happening!
On Wednesday, they bricked around a small section of the front facade, which I was most excited to see!!
Niggly issue #1...I think they have used more orangy bricks than purply bricks on this part of the front facade. Comparing it to the back of the house which has a lot more purply bricks, and the ones I adore. I have been rest assured that no one else can see it, and once it's all bricked and blended, it will be fine...
They also enclosed the meter box:
The have also fixed the dent in the runner of the stacker door out to the Alfresco, so it now opens and closes properly:
I had to laugh at the foreign rubbish again in the rubbish cage! This time it's boxes for a kettle and a portable stereo!:
Still a long way to go, but making steady progress!
Thursday saw the brickies move higher up the 'long' wall, working on scaffolding, and also installing the first lintel above the lounge room window:
Niggly issue #2: I had a little walk around inside and actually looked in the powder room toilet outlet, which had been moved to the right. I noticed quite a large bend and 'shelf' in it. I'm just hoping that 'nothing' gets 'trapped' on that shelf and possibly cause blockages down the track. Being the downstairs toilet, it will most likely be the one that is used the most often:
I had to laugh again at the rubbish cage! It looks as though a cow had visited the site...2 nice neat mortar pats! ;-) Sick? Yes, but you have to keep up the humour when house building...
They installed their straight edges and string line along the garage in preparation of the next days work:
Today they continued above the meals area window, installing the lintel, and around the corner into the alfresco:
As anticipated, bricking began on the other side of the front doors and into the garage:
Niggly issue #3: A complete oversight on our behalf. With so many other things to check and re check with the plans, we didn't realise there was no lintel and brickwork above the stacker door and windows from the meals into the alfresco. It will consist of a painted cement sheet infill. "Too late!" she cried...
Niggly issue #4: A delivery of more brickies sand for the mortar...in a completely different colour to what was used previously. Now before I jump the gun too much, it may be that the new pile of sand is 'wetter' than the existing, and the existing has 'weathered' more after being in the rain for a few weeks. I'm not sure, but as I paid for 'off white' mortar, I expect to have consistent off white mortar. As the mortar is flush with the brickwork, any colour discrepancies will be clearly visible, and I will not be very happy if this is the case!! I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about...
Niggly issue #5: The mortar joins between several courses of bricks and along most of the long wall (that I can remember) do not line up! See for yourself:
Further investigation and photograph taking tomorrow, and we'll decide what course of action we will be taking. I'll definitely be mentioning it to the SS on Monday. I am now looking at every house I know in the area that has Daniel Robertson bricks to see if their mortar lines are crooked. So far...nope.
I'll keep you posted.
An apartment in Milan in dark neutrals
1 hour ago